B1 Dialog #101 Talking about Christmas and New Year
Today we are going to talk about Christmas and New Year in English. As always you can read the text in the PDF which you can find in the description. Follow our podcasts on iTunes and Yandex Music. For more new dialogs subscribe to our channel.
(1) What is Christmas?
It’s an annual holiday about the birth of Jesus. In Europe and Western World it’s on the 25th of December. In Russia it’s on the 7th of January. Asian countries have a smaller number of Christians and Catholics compared to the rest of the world. As a result, in many Asian countries Christmas has a more trendy view than a religious one.
(2) Why does Russia celebrate Christmas on January 7th?
Christmas in Russia is most widely celebrated on January 7 because the Russian Orthodox Church belongs to the Julian calendar, which is 13 days behind the Gregorian calendar. New Year’s Day is on January 1st and is often considered the more important holiday.
(3) Is Christmas the same today as it was 100 years ago?
Christmas 100 years ago has many similarities to Christmas today. It’s a very old religious holiday.
(4) Why do you like New Year and Christmas?
No matter where you live, it’s a lovely season for everyone. I like these holidays because of the kind atmosphere. Merry Christmas banners, colorful lights and decorations can be seen everywhere. It’s a wonderful time!
(5) Is there anything stressful about these holidays?
The expense of gifts and food, the pressure of shopping can make New Year and Christmas an extremely stressful time. It’s important to remember that a gift doesn’t have to be expensive. The most important thing is your attention to the people you love.
(6) Have your feelings towards New Year and Christmas changed since you were a child?
Not much! I still like these holidays. It’s a time for family and good things to happen.
Even today when there are not so many reasons for joy, it’s important to stay positive and believe in the best.
(7) What do you usually do on New Year’s Eve and Christmas Day?
I gather together with my family and closest people. We give the gifts, make New Year’s resolutions and celebrate together.
(8) What is your favourite Christmas song?
My favorite Christmas song is ‘We wish you a merry Christmas’!
(9) What do you know about Santa Claus?
Santa Claus is the traditional patron of Christmas in the United States and other countries, bringing gifts to children.
(10) How do you feel when New Year and Christmas are over for another year?
Many people experience sadness when the holidays are over. I am always trying to stay happy and not to feel blue. All the best is yet to come!
Anya —-> Rinat
(1) Is the New Year important to you?
Yes it is. New Year and Christmas are a time of family gathering and it’s a good chance to start something new in life. Two years ago we decided to make this channel and we are still developing it. It’s so cool!
(2) Is Christmas too commercial nowadays?
Christmas is the most popular holiday in the world. Like all other popular things it’s getting more and more commercial nowadays. I think we can do nothing about it.
(3) Should people go to church at Christmas?
Christmas is first of all a religious holiday. It’s a great time to invite someone to church. Everyone is welcome to attend.
(4) Is it important to buy presents at New Year and Christmas?
We give gifts to express our love and appreciation for others. Families gather together to enjoy a meal together, to catch up, share memories, and give each other gifts. It’s important!
(5) What do you usually eat on New Year’s Eve and Christmas?
The only rule is that dinner should be delicious to you! We eat different kinds of food during these holidays. Chicken, pork, or beef with roast potatoes and different salads. A lot of delicious sweets like cakes, pies and so on.
(6) Do you think New Year is the best holiday of the year?
It’s one of my favorite holidays. And I think that it’s one of the best holidays of the year!
(7) How should a very traditional Christmas and New Year be spent?
Popular customs include exchanging gifts, decorating Christmas trees, attending church, sharing meals with family and friends and, of course, waiting for Santa Claus to arrive.
(8) What do you want for Christmas?
All I wish is all my family and closest people to be happy next year. That would be the best gift for me!
(9) What do you dislike about Christmas and New Year?
It’s always a pretty hectic time. A lot of things at work to finish, a lot of gifts to buy and so on. People are running everywhere trying to buy what they want. It’s quite stressful, but I try to enjoy it.
(10) Would you like to spend Christmas in another country?
Yeah why not? It would be fun. But I think it’s better to be at home.