B1 Dialog #17. Talking about movies
In this video we are talking about movies. As always, the text for the video is available in the PDF file from the link above. Subscribe to our Telegram channel in order not to miss useful materials for students. We would be grateful if you rate the video as a like and subscribe to the channel!
How to work with the dialog?
- Listen to the dialogue and read the PDF transcript. Turn on subtitles if necessary.
- Listen to the dialogue again, repeating the questions and answers aloud (!!!).
- Come up with your own answers to the questions. Use PDF vocabulary if needed.
- Listen to the questions and answer them aloud (!!!), with a correct intonation, pronunciation and rhythm.
- Go back to the video from time to time and repeat the exercise.
Talking about movies
(1) What top 5 five movies would you recommend to watch in English?
My favorite movies are: The Game, The Shawshank Redemption, Seven, Forrest Gump and Shutter Island.
(2) Would you like to work in the movie industry?
I think that it’s interesting to work in the movie industry. So I would try.
(3) Why are movies called movies?
Before movies there were photographs, which didn’t move. First movies were basically photographs that were strung together and played through something, so it appeared that they were moving. So that’s why we call it a movie.
(4) Which movie would you like to live in?
I’d like to live in some good and kind movie, like The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. It’s an awesome movie. I recommend it for everyone.
(5) What’s the best movie you’ve ever seen?
In the 90s Hollywood made a lot of perfect movies. My favorite one is The Game with Michael Douglas.
(6) Do you prefer watching movies at the cinema or on TV?
If it’s an action with or a horror, I prefer watching it in the cinema.
(7) Who is the biggest movie hero for you?
I don’t know really. I’ve never thought about it. I really like the soviet ones about war: Hot Snow, Fate of a Man and others. Those people are the biggest heroes for me.
(8) Which country makes the best movies?
The United States are the best in this industry of course.
(9) Who is your favourite movie star (and why)?
I like Matthew McConaughey and his character in True Detective. There are a lot of other movies with him. He is a strong actor.
(10) What’s the worst movie you’ve ever seen?
Almost each movie that Hollywood makes now is terrible. I can’t watch them.
(1) Are movies good for us?
Yes of course. We can learn a lot of right things from good movies.
(2) Do you think movies make people more violent?
No, I don’t think so. Some movies are just not acceptable for children of course. So parents should take care of it and show only appropriate movies to their kids.
(3) What movie genre do you like best?
I like movies about love. They are so romantic. Dramas are also good. One of my favorites is Legends of the Fall with Brad Pitt and Julia Ormond.
(4) Which actress would you want to play you in a movie about you?
Some people say I look similar to Natalie Portman. So I think she is the best person that can play in a movie about me.
(5) Would you like a job as a movie critic?
I am not sure I can do this, but I would definitely try. I like watching movies.
(6) What things make a great movie a great movie?
Scenario is the most important thing. Actors and directors are also very important.
(7) Tell me about the first time you went to the movie theater?
When I was 18 years old I think. Pretty late.
(8) If you could make a movie, what would it be about?
I like animals. I would make some kind movie about a dog or a cat. It would be interesting for me.
(9) Do you prefer to watch a good movie, a good documentary or a good game of sport?
Documentary is better.
(10) Who do you like watching movies with?
With a loved one of course. Going to the cinema is a good idea for a date.