B1 Dialog #27. Talking about aliens
Today we are going to talk about aliens. You can read the text in the PDF, provided in the description. Please follow us on Telegram and Instagram. You can also listen to the dialog on Apple Podcasts and Yandex Music. All the links in the description.
How to work with the dialog?
- Listen to the dialogue and read the PDF transcript. Turn on subtitles if necessary.
- Listen to the dialogue again, repeating the questions and answers aloud (!!!).
- Come up with your own answers to the questions. Use PDF vocabulary if needed.
- Listen to the questions and answer them aloud (!!!), with a correct intonation, pronunciation and rhythm.
- Go back to the video from time to time and repeat the exercise.
Talking about aliens
(1) Do you think there are aliens somewhere in the universe?
Absolutely. The universe is so huge. It’d be strange if we were the only forms of life.
(2) What do you think aliens look like?
I don’t know. I think there are a lot of different kinds of aliens. Some of them might look similar to us, others might be absolutely different.
(3) Why do you think aliens in movies and comic books generally have a human shape and eyes?
From my point of view, it’s more interesting to watch aliens like that. If they were too different, movies wouldn’t be so successful.
(4) Do you think aliens are likely to be more or less intelligent than us?
Both are possible. Some of them are more intelligent, the others are less. Most of them are more intelligent I think, because the Earth is a pretty young planet yet. So humans are a young race.
(5) Do you think aliens are likely to be friendly or unfriendly?
We are still alive. So I guess they are friendly.
(6) Where do you think the idea of aliens from outer space came from?
Space has always been attractive to people. So it’s quite obvious to think about aliens. I think the idea itself comes from the cinema industry.
(7) What are the aliens like in your culture’s movies and books?
In soviet movies they look similar to people. To be honest, I haven’t seen many of them. Only “Kindzadza”. As for Russian movies, the latest one was “Sputnik” directed by Egor Abramenko. In that movie the alien was like some guest, that was living inside of a spaceman. A pretty good movie by the way. I was impressed.
(8) What do you think of people who say they have met or were kidnapped by aliens?
I have never met such people. So I don’t know really. I think that most of these stories are not true. Or those people are just crazy a little bit.
(9) What’s your favorite movie about aliens?
“Alien” of course! The first one, directed by Ridley Scott. Also I like “Predator” with Arnold Schwarzenegger
(10) Do you think aliens would prefer to communicate with us?
I think they would. They just can’t find us as well as we can’t find them. The universe is too big.
Rinat —–> Anya
(1) What would you say to an alien if you met one?
I’d say “Don’t kill me please. I’m your friend!”
(2) What would you do if you saw a UFO in a field near your house?
I would watch it in silence with a hope that they are friendly. It’d be scary.
(3) Do you think aliens might have lots of viruses that could wipe out the human race?
I think it’s possible of course.
(4) If the secret service discovered an alien, do you think they would tell the general public?
No, I think they wouldn’t. Secret service works on the government, and the government always hides something from other countries.
(5) Do you think aliens would be afraid of humans?
I think not afraid, but curious. I think they are much more powerful than humans.
(6) If aliens visited Earth for a week, what do you think they should see to fully understand us and our achievements?
They should see our cosmodromes and spaceships. They also should visit our big cities with huge buildings and engineering. And they should definitely visit a theater.
(7) How likely is it we will ever be able to visit a planet that has aliens?
I think it’s possible in the distant future. Not in this century. That’s for sure. But it’d be so interesting.
(8) Do you think it’s worthwhile for your government to spend money on alien research or sending signals into space in case aliens are listening?
I think we shouldn’t disturb them.
(9) If an alien visited Earth, what would it say about our planet and people when it returned home?
I don’t know really. It depends on what exactly they would have seen. But they would definitely say that our planet is beautiful.