B1 Dialog #30 Talking about celebrities
Today we are going to talk about celebrities. As always you can read the text in PDF, which you can find in the description. Follow our podcasts on iTunes and Yandex Music. For more new dialogs please subscribe to our channel.
How to work with the dialog?
- Listen to the dialogue and read the PDF transcript. Turn on subtitles if necessary.
- Listen to the dialogue again, repeating the questions and answers aloud (!!!).
- Come up with your own answers to the questions. Use PDF vocabulary if needed.
- Listen to the questions and answer them aloud (!!!), with a correct intonation, pronunciation and rhythm.
- Go back to the video from time to time and repeat the exercise.
Talking about celebrities
(1) What is a celebrity?
It’s a very famous person that many people know. It could be an actor, a singer or some TV host.
(2) Do you think anyone can become a celebrity?
I don’t think so. You should probably have some skills. But nowadays celebrities are different. Some of them are really talented and respectful. Others don’t even deserve to be so popular.
(3) Do you think celebrities like Oprah Winfrey deserve the millions of dollars they get paid?
No, I don’t think so. But we live in the World, when TV hosts get huge salaries in comparison with doctors, teachers and other people, whose job is much more important. I don’t think it is right.
(4) Why are so many people obsessed with celebrities?
It’s human nature I think. People are curious. But some celebrities are really interesting to follow. But anyway it’s not good to be obsessed with someone.
(5) What do you think are the downsides to being a celebrity?
It’s pretty difficult when other people want to know what is going on in your personal life. So you have to hide from paparazzi and cameras. I think it’s the worst thing about being a celebrity.
(6) Are there any celebrities you hate the sight of?
There are a lot of people in Russia and other countries that are called celebrities for some reason. For me they are not. But I can’t say that I hate them. I just don’t care.
(7) Would you like to be interviewed by celebrity magazines?
It depends on the magazine. I don’t know really.
(8) Do you think there are different levels of celebrity?
Some people are more famous, some are less. Yeah, I think there are different levels of celebrities. Hollywood actors are the most famous ones I think.
(9) Which celebrities would you invite to your birthday party and why?
I’d invite some rock star. I like this kind of music. It’d be fun.
(10) Are there differences between a ‘celebrity’ and a ‘famous person’?
For me there is no difference. Maybe celebrities are more popular and more people know about them.
Rinat —–> Anya
(1) Do you think all celebrities are talented?
Not all of them of course. Sometimes I wonder why some celebrities are so popular, because they do such ridiculous things.
(2) Do you have a favourite celebrity?
Yes, I do. But I can’t choose only one. As I mentioned in our video about actors, I like Jennifer Aniston. Also I like makeup artist Ali Andreea. I watch her YouTube channel And follow her on Instagram.
(3) Do you like reading about celebrities in magazines, online etc.?
I don’t buy magazines. So no I don’t.
(4) Would you like to be a celebrity?
I can’t say that it’s my strongest desire. But if I have an opportunity, why not?
(5) Do you think celebrities like being celebrities?
It depends on people of course. Some of them like to be in focus of the media every time, the others want to keep their private life.
(6) Would you see your friends often if you became a world celebrity?
I’d try not to forget about my friends. It’s very important to me.
(7) What aspects of your present life would you miss if you became a celebrity?
My free time I think.
(8) Have you ever met any celebrities?
No, I haven’t.
(9) Which two celebrities would you like to see interviewing one another?
I don’t know. Maybe Brad Pitt and Leo Decaprio? I like them.
(10) Which celebrity would you like to swap places with?
Ali Andreea, I think. I would like to live in Paris and have the apartment like she has. But it’s for now. I can change my mind in the future.