B1 Dialog #34 Back idioms. Part I
Today we are going to talk about back idioms. As always you can read the text in PDF, which you can find in the description. Follow our podcasts on iTunes and Yandex Music. For more new dialogs please subscribe to our channel.
How to work with the dialog?
- Listen to the dialogue and read the PDF transcript. Turn on subtitles if necessary.
- Listen to the dialogue again, repeating the questions and answers aloud (!!!).
- Come up with your own answers to the questions. Use PDF vocabulary if needed.
- Listen to the questions and answer them aloud (!!!), with a correct intonation, pronunciation and rhythm.
- Go back to the video from time to time and repeat the exercise.
Back idioms. Part I
- When was the last time a friend did something behind your back?
I can’t recall anything like this. My friends never did anything behind my back.
- Are you careful to cover your back to avoid getting in trouble?
Yes I am. I don’t like getting in trouble. So I’m always trying to be careful to cover my back.
- Have you ever broken your back trying to do something very difficult?
No I haven’t. It sounds terrible. I hope I will never do anything like this.
- Do your parents ever get on your back, asking when you’re going to get married / get a job / move out, etc?
No, my parents never did so. I think it’s not so good to get on childrens’ back and ask them questions like that.
- Is there anyone you hate so much you wouldn’t give them the shirt off your back?
No, but I would never give the shirt off my back if people don’t deserve it. I’d do this only for my closest ones.
- When your back is up against the wall, can you be cool and not panic?
I don’t like such situations, because it’s pretty difficult for me to stay cool and not to panic.
- What annoying people’s habits really get your back up?
I think nobody likes when people bite nails or spit too much. It really gets my back up.
- Do you ever scratch someone’s back and then they return the favour?
Yes I do. I like helping my friends when they need it. And I appreciate it so much when they return the favor.
- Has a friend ever stabbed you in the back, even after you helped them?
No. All my friends are good people. They would never stab in my back.
- Has a friend ever turned his/her back on you when you needed help?
I can’t remember anything like this. My friends are always ready to help me and they would never turn their back on me.