B1 Dialog #53 Talking about YouTube and bloggers
Today we are going to talk about YouTube. As always you can read the text in the PDF which you can find in the description. Follow our podcasts on iTunes and Yandex Music. For more new dialogs subscribe to our channel.
How to work with the dialog?
- Listen to the dialog and read the PDF transcript. Turn on subtitles if necessary.
- Listen to the dialog again, repeating the questions and answers aloud (!!!).
- Come up with your own answers to the questions. Use PDF vocabulary if needed.
- Listen to the questions and answer them aloud (!!!), with a correct intonation, pronunciation and rhythm.
- Go back to the video from time to time and repeat the exercise.
Talking about YouTube
- What makes YouTube so interesting?
Video content is attractive. People would rather watch something than read. That’s why YouTube is getting more and more popular nowadays.
- Is YouTube about entertainment or about education? What do you think?
Generally, YouTube is about entertainment of course. But at the same time people make a lot of educational content and other people watch this content and learn from it. So YouTube is not only about entertainment. That’s for sure.
- How many people watch YouTube nowadays?
Over 2 billion users visit YouTube each month. In Russia for example, about 60 million people watch YouTube.
- Does YouTube replace television?
Absolutely! It’s not as popular as television yet, but I’m sure YouTube will replace it one day.
- What are the good things and the bad things about YouTube?
The good thing is that there is a lot of good content on YouTube. The bad thing is that there are many stupid videos that gain thousands of views. And children watch them. That’s crazy.
- Would you limit your children from watching YouTube?
Of course I would! And YouTube lets parents do this! There is a special function called “Parents control” in YouTube settings.
- You said there are many stupid videos. Should YouTube be censored? What do you think?
Problem is not about YouTube I think. Stupid videos get views and become popular, because people watch them.
- So you think the problem is about people?
I think so. I mean there is no reason to make YouTube censored. It won’t help.
- What is your favorite YouTube channel?
I can’t choose only one. I follow 3 or 4 channels and they are all different. One is about learning English, the others about cooking, style and beauty.
- What is your favorite kind of content?
I like when people teach me something and do this with fun. So I like educational content, but I don’t like when it’s too boring.
- Is there any alternative to YouTube in your country?
There is RuTube in Russia, but it’s not so popular yet. Maybe it will be one day. We will see!
Anya ——-> Rinat
- What do you think about YouTube vloggers (video bloggers)?
It depends on the blogger. Some people make really good content which is interesting to follow. The others make such trash that I can hardly watch this. So bloggers are different.
- Is it difficult to be a YouTube vlogger?
Making good content is not easy. It takes time and sometimes it takes money. But once again, bloggers are different and their channels are different. So it depends.
- Top 10 YouTube vloggers earned over 100$ million last year. What do you think of it?
Honestly I don’t care how much other people earn. But in general, I don’t think that any kind of blogger deserves such big incomes. It’s our crazy world. There is nothing we can do with it.
- Would you like to be a popular blogger?
I would like to bring something useful and teach people something. And I want to share it with as many people as possible. So of course I want to make our channel popular.
- A lot of children till 15 years old want to be YouTube bloggers nowadays. What do you think of it?
It’s a result of the YouTube influence. Today, children watch YouTube too much. They see how much money famous youtubers make. Of course they want to be like them. I can’t judge them for it.
- Is it good or bad?
It’s not good of course, but they are just children. I believe many of them change their minds as they get older.
- Who are influencers?
It’s famous bloggers that share their thoughts and ideas on YouTube and other social media. So they can influence their audience. That’s why people call them influencers.
- What would be the world like if everyone becomes a YouTube blogger?
I can’t imagine the world like this. There would be no world I think.
- In China YouTube is blocked. Do you think it’s good or not?
I don’t know. China is a comunist country. They probably think that YouTube has a bad influence on their society. I’d partly agree with this.
- If the Russian government blocks YouTube one day, what will you do?
I will keep making videos and develop our channel. I think it’s not possible to block YouTube completely. And when you block something you should offer an alternative. In Russia there is no alternative to YouTube. Unfortunately!
- What would you choose: to have a full time job or be a YouTube blogger and earn money on it?
I like my job and I am not going to quit it. Even if I earn enough on YouTube. I would rather combine my real job and my hobby of blogging.