B1 Dialog #58 Talking about stress
Today we are going to talk about stress. As always you can read the text in the PDF which you can find in the description. Follow our podcasts on iTunes and Yandex Music. For more new dialogs subscribe to our channel.
How to work with the dialog?
- Listen to the dialog and read the PDF transcript. Turn on subtitles if necessary.
- Listen to the dialog again, repeating the questions and answers aloud (!!!).
- Come up with your own answers to the questions. Use PDF vocabulary if needed.
- Listen to the questions and answer them aloud (!!!), with a correct intonation, pronunciation and rhythm.
- Go back to the video from time to time and repeat the exercise.
Talking about stress in English
(1) What images spring to mind when you hear the word ‘stress’?
I start thinking about reactions of our body to different negative factors. It could be a conflict with a person, loneliness, dissatisfaction with your appearance, people around you, success at work and so on.
(2) Are you stressed at the moment?
No, I’m not. I feel comfortable in your company.
(3) What stresses you out? – Что вас беспокоит?
Problems at work and quarrels with my friends stress me out.
(4) What do you do to relieve your stress?
I think a cup of tea or coffee and a good book or long walks help me to relieve any stress. In my opinion we should understand that everything in our life happens for the best and each problem is a new life experience. We just need to get through it.
(5) Is learning English stressful?
Sometimes it is. Any kind of learning is not easy and stressful from time to time.
(6) Is life becoming more or less stressful?
It depends on many different factors. But in general, it’s getting more stressful I think.
(7) Who stresses you out the most?
People who tell me what to do and teach me how to live. I think it’s not good.
(8) What stresses you about walking in the streets?
I am afraid of inexperienced drivers. I’m always quite nervous when crossing the street.
(9) Do you think technology is stressful?
When people become addicted to gadgets and social media, it’s not good. In this case technology has a bad influence on our life and health.
(10) How dangerous do you think stress is?
I think it’s pretty dangerous. That’s why it’s important to keep calm and control yourself in any situation.
Anya —-> Rinat
(1) What’s the best stress reliever you know of?
The best way to relieve stress is to have a rest and go somewhere for a holiday.
(2) Who do you give stress to?
I hope I give stress to nobody. I am a friendly person.
(3) Does watching TV make you stressed?
Yes it does! Television is terrible today. So I don’t even have a TV-set. I don’t need it.
(4) What things do you get stressed about that you wish you wouldn’t?
I am always getting stressed about traffic jams. They really drive me crazy sometimes. I wish we never had them.
(5) Who’s the most stressed person you know?
My father works at school and leads security staff. He is responsible for children’s safety. It’s quite a stressful job and a huge responsibility.
(6) Would you ever go to stress management classes?
Yeah! It would be pretty useful I think.
(7) What was the most stressful time of your life?
Many years ago my family and I lost our flat because of the fire. I was a child, but even now I remember that period of my life. It was the most stressful time I think. Especially for my parents.
(8) Can stress be a positive thing?
I don’t think so. Maybe it can be positive in some situations, but I can’t say what kind of situations it is.
(9) How do you interact with others when you are under a lot of stress?
I prefer to keep quiet and not to talk to people too much.
(10) Have you ever snapped after being under too much stress?
No I haven’t. But I know that it can happen to people when they have a lot of stress. It’s terrible.