B1 Dialog #59 Talking about comparatives
Today we are going to practise comparatives in English. As always you can read the text in the PDF which you can find in the description. Follow our podcasts on iTunes and Yandex Music. For more new dialogs subscribe to our channel.
How to work with the dialog?
- Listen to the dialog and read the PDF transcript. Turn on subtitles if necessary.
- Listen to the dialog again, repeating the questions and answers aloud (!!!).
- Come up with your own answers to the questions. Use PDF vocabulary if needed.
- Listen to the questions and answer them aloud (!!!), with a correct intonation, pronunciation and rhythm.
- Go back to the video from time to time and repeat the exercise.
Talking about comparatives
(1) Which is more difficult to learn, English or your language?
I think Russian is more difficult than English. That’s for sure!
(2) What things are you better at than your best friend?
I am better at making new friends. I’m a friendly and positive person.
(3) Are people today luckier than they were 50 years ago?
It depends. Life was different 50 years ago. Something was better, something worse. I can’t say that people today are luckier than they were 50 years ago.
(4) Is it better to study English in class or online?
In my opinion it’s better to study online, because you don’t need to spend time and go to your teacher. So you can save some money as well.
(5) Are you happier now or were you happier when you were younger?
I like all stages of my life. I think it’s not a good idea to compare them.
(6) Are video games better for you than watching TV?
I don’t like both. But if I had to choose, I would prefer to play a video game rather than watching TV.
(7) What is worse than failing exams?
To fail them again I think! That’s why it’s very important to study hard for any kind of exam.
(8) Is it better to go on a date with someone who is older or younger than you?
I think it’s better to date someone who is younger than you, but not much younger.
(9) Do you think buying a more expensive brand means it is much better than a cheaper brand?
Not always. Often we pay for brands, but sometimes the quality of clothes is not so good. Especially now, when famous brands don’t think about quality too much.
(10) How much would you pay to have an Internet connection that is 100 times faster than the one you have now?
1 dollar. I don’t need such a fast Internet. My Internet is pretty good now.
I think one day we will have the Internet free of charge. And everyone will be able to use it. All over the world.
Anya —-> Rinat
(1) Does life get more complicated the older you become?
I think it does. When you are a kid, parents do a lot of things for you. They earn money, buy food, buy clothes and educate you. Basically you have nothing to worry about. When you get older you have to make your living on your own. It’s much more complicated.
(2) Is the world safer now than it was before?
I don’t think so. I think it’s getting more and more unstable each year. Countries compete for natural resources, territories and other things. I am really afraid of the future sometimes.
(3) Is studying comparatives easier or more difficult than studying superlatives?
I don’t know. Comparatives and superlatives are pretty simple in English. So I can’t say which one is easier.
(4) Will tomorrow be more interesting than yesterday?
Absolutely! New day is a new life with a lot of new interesting things to come! 😊
(5) Is there anything more delicious than your mother’s cooking?
If only your mother’s cooking! Mothers are always the best at cooking.
(6) What is healthier: eating good food or getting lots of exercise?
They both are important. You can’t be healthy if you eat a lot of junk food. Even if you work out every day!
(7) Would you like to be more beautiful / more handsome than you are now or more intelligent than now?
No I wouldn’t. I think it would be strange. I am satisfied with who I am.
(8) Which is worse: a virus attacking your computer or a virus attacking your body?
A virus attacking my body is much worse than a virus attacking my computer. That’s for sure.
(9) Are you smarter than your parents? In what way(s)?
No, I am not smarter than my parents. Maybe I am better at some specific things, but I can’t say that I am smarter.
(10) What would you like to be better at than anyone else in the world? Why?
I don’t know. I think it’s impossible to be the best at something for a long time. Someone will become better than you one day anyway. But it’s important to try and not to stop improving yourself!