B1 Dialog #60 YES
Today we are going to talk about the word “YES”. As always you can read the text in the PDF which you can find in the description. Follow our podcasts on iTunes and Yandex Music. For more new dialogs subscribe to our channel.
How to work with the dialog?
- Listen to the dialog and read the PDF transcript. Turn on subtitles if necessary.
- Listen to the dialog again, repeating the questions and answers aloud (!!!).
- Come up with your own answers to the questions. Use PDF vocabulary if needed.
- Listen to the questions and answer them aloud (!!!), with a correct intonation, pronunciation and rhythm.
- Go back to the video from time to time and repeat the exercise.
Talking about YES
(1) What images spring to mind when you hear the word ‘yes’?
Some positive things spring to my mind. We usually use this word when we agree and accept something or want to be more polite with others. “Yes” is much more positive than “no”.
(2) How often do you say yes every day?
Pretty often! I say yes to my boss, my relatives. It’s much easier for me than saying no.
(3) Is it sometimes difficult to say yes?
Sometimes it’s difficult, especially when you want to say no and you can’t do this because of some circumstances.
(4) How often do you regret saying yes?
I think not so often, but I always regret saying yes when someone is spamming on the phone.
(5) When do you hope the answer is always yes?
When asking someone for a favor. Or when I want to buy something and ask for a discount.
(6) How many different ways are there of saying yes?
You can say it in words or you can use your body language.
(7) Has anyone ever got you to say yes against your will?
I can’t recall any situation like that. I think no, nobody has got me to say yes against my will.
(8) What words usually follow ‘yes’?
Sure, of course, absolutely and others.
(9) Someone once said: “Yes and no are very short words to say, but we should think for some length of time before saying them.” Do you agree?
Yes, I do. I believe that these words can change someone’s life. So we need to think before saying them.
(10) Tony Blair said: “The art of leadership is saying no, not saying yes. It is very easy to say yes.” Do you agree?
Yes, I do agree. It’s very hard for me to say no, because I don’t like making people disappointed. I want to make them happy.
Anya —–> Rinat
(1) Do you like the word yes?
Yes I do. It’s a good word that helps us a lot.
(2) Do you say yes or no more?
I don’t like saying “no” to people. It pretty much depends on the situation, but normally I say “yes” more often.
(3) How does intonation change the meaning of saying yes?
Intonation is important. I can say “yes” hearty or more negative. So depending on intonation, our words can have different meanings.
(4) How would life be different if the word ‘yes’ was taken out of our language?
I think our life would be grey with a lot of negatives. People would be less healthy and more nervous I think.
(5) Do you always say yes when someone asks you for a favour?
I do. I like helping people, but I don’t like when people ask for too much. It’s not good.
(6) What was the happiest yes of your life?
I don’t know. I had many happy “yes” and I can’t say which one was the happiest.
(7) How many languages can you say yes in?
In Russian it’s “да”, in English – yes, in German – ja, in French – Oui, in Spanish – Si. That’s all yes I know.
(8) When was the last time you screamed a big “YES!!!!” (even if it was in your head)?
It was this morning, when I didn’t have to go to work, because I’m on vacation till the end of September. I am really happy about it.
(9) Joseph Campbell said: “The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure.” Do you agree?
Yes I do. It’s not easy sometimes to make up your mind and say yes to your adventure. People are afraid of changes pretty often.
(10) Albert Camus said: “Charm is a way of getting the answer yes without asking a clear question.” Do you agree?согласен?
Absolutely! Charmfull people are getting the answer yes much more often than others. That’s for sure.