B1 Dialog #62 Talking about listening activities
Today we are going to talk about listening activities in English. As always you can read the text in the PDF which you can find in the description. Follow our podcasts on iTunes and Yandex Music. For more new dialogs subscribe to our channel.
How to work with the dialog?
- Listen to the dialog and read the PDF transcript. Turn on subtitles if necessary.
- Listen to the dialog again, repeating the questions and answers aloud (!!!).
- Come up with your own answers to the questions. Use PDF vocabulary if needed.
- Listen to the questions and answer them aloud (!!!), with a correct intonation, pronunciation and rhythm.
- Go back to the video from time to time and repeat the exercise.
Talking about listening activities
(1) What comes to mind when you hear the term ‘listening activities’?
Listening activities are the exercises that improve listening skills and our comprehension in English.
(2) What do you think when your teacher says you’re going to do a listening activity?
I like doing listening activities. I think it’s an extremely important part of learning English and you should not avoid it.
(3) What kind of listening activities do you like best?
I like listening to podcasts in English. Usually I listen to podcasts that fit my level of English and read PDF transcripts. It makes listening not so exhausting and it’s more effective.
(4) Do you like listening to the radio in English?
Yes I do, but it’s so difficult sometimes to understand what radio hosts say. So I don’t think that radio in English is a good source for beginners.
(5) Do you have an example of how a listening activity improved your listening?
Absolutely! When I was starting to learn English, I was listening a lot! And after about half a year I noticed that my listening skill became much better. I could easily understand simple topics in English and as a result my speaking skill became better too. It was an amazing feeling!
(6) Do you know of any listening websites that have good listening activities?
Our website and youtube channel are definitely first! Also there are a lot of other podcasters that make awesome podcasts for students of each level of English. You will find the links in the description.
(7) Which is best – listening activities in the classroom or real-life listening?
Both are good and important of course. I can’t say which one is better. Listening in the classroom helps you to improve some specific topics and vocabulary. Real-life listening is the best way to quickly improve your daily English. That’s why learning English in an English speaking country and being among the native speakers are so effective.
(8) Do you always understand the reasons why the teacher asks you to do a particular listening activity?
That’s what I was saying. Particular listening activities help you to improve specific topics in English. So it’s very important to do listening activities like that.
(9) What are your biggest problems with listening?
My biggest problem with listening is to understand the native speakers of course. That’s why it’s so important to work with materials that fit your level of English!
(10) How important are listening activities compared with reading, speaking and writing activities?
We learn languages with our ears, not with our eyes! So listening is one of the most important things as well as speaking or learning English grammar for example.
Rinat —-> Anya
(1) Do you like doing listening activities?
Yes, of course. I like listening to podcasts from BBC Learning English and others.
(2) Do you ever think listening activities are a waste of time?
No, I don’t. Listening activities help me to understand English speech better, improve my intonation and pronunciation.
(3) Do you prefer any particular accent when doing a listening activity?
I like the British accent, but it’s not important for me when I do listening activities. I like all materials from native speakers.
(4) Is the topic important when you do a listening activity?
Sometimes it’s important, especially when you learn new words from a particular topic. But I think that any kind of topic is good if you like it.
(5) What things are important for a listening activity to be successful?
I think regularity is important. In order to be successful it’s better to do listening activities every day.
(6) What advice would you give to a student who panics when he or she cannot follow a listening?
I think it’s very important to keep calm and not to panic. I recommend that you stop listening, download the transcript and read it at first. Translate new words and start listening again. You should understand about 70% of what you listen to. Otherwise this podcast doesn’t fit your level.
(7) How often should you listen to English podcasts, news, songs, etc.?
The more you listen the better your listening bacomes. So you should listen as often as you can. Especially in the beginning of learning.
(8) How long do you think listening activities should be?
Not so long. I think about 20 minutes a day would be enough. What do you think?
(9) Do you think you need a listening activity in every class?
I think it’s more important to speak English in every class.