B1 Dialog #63 Talking about house and home
Today we are going to talk about house and home in English. As always you can read the text in the PDF which you can find in the description. Follow our podcasts on iTunes and Yandex Music. For more new dialogs subscribe to our channel.
How to work with the dialog?
- Listen to the dialog and read the PDF transcript. Turn on subtitles if necessary.
- Listen to the dialog again, repeating the questions and answers aloud (!!!).
- Come up with your own answers to the questions. Use PDF vocabulary if needed.
- Listen to the questions and answer them aloud (!!!), with a correct intonation, pronunciation and rhythm.
- Go back to the video from time to time and repeat the exercise.
Talking about house and home
(1) Are you a ‘house and home’ person?
I think I am. I like going out and spending time with my Friends or travelling, but I am always happy to come back home.
(2) What’s your favourite thing about your home?
I like the white colour in design. With this colour our apartment looks bigger. Also it’s a very pleasant colour for eyes.
(3) What is your dream home?
My dream home has the second floor, big windows, cozy fireplace and open terrace.
(4) What home improvements would you like to make to your home?
I would buy new curtains and a table in the kitchen.
(5) Are you happy with the colour scheme and furniture in your home?
Yes I am pretty happy with the colour scheme and furniture in our home.
(6) Would you rather live in a house or an apartment?
I’d love to live in a house, but not too far from the city.
(7) Do you agree that ‘home is where the heart is’?
Yes I do. It’s not necessary to have an expensive house or apartment. The most important thing is to be with your loved ones.
(8) Do you like being at home alone?
Sometimes it’s good, but only for a few hours. So no, I don’t like being at home alone.
(9) What are the differences between a house and a home?
“House” has a more literal meaning. It’s a single building where people live. The word “home” has a more common meaning. Like you said before “home is where your heart is”!
(10) Do you like the houses in other countries?
Yes I do. Each country has different features and building patterns. In Malta for example they build wonderful white houses made of stone. Each house has a name. It’s so cute!
Anya —-> Rinat
(1) What comes to mind when you hear the word ‘home’?
Some images of our home come to mind. The most favourite and peaceful place to me.
(2) Are you a stay-at-home person or a going-out person?
I like staying at home and having a rest. Especially at weekends, after a work week. But I can’t stay at home for more than two days. So I think I am a going-out person.
(3) Do you do homework and housework?
Yes I do. I like keeping our home clean and nice. I don’t like a mess.
(4) Do you or would you like to have your own home?
I do have my own home. It’s small and nice. I think everyone would like to have their own home.
(5) Are you house proud?
Yeah! I am house proud! I don’t have a house yet, but I am sure I’ll be proud of it one day! 🙂
(6) Is there anything you hate about your home?
There is nothing I hate about our home. Only our neighbours make me crazy sometimes. All the rest is good.
(7) Do you get jealous of other people’s homes?
I usually don’t. But even if I get jealous sometimes, it’s always in a friendly way. There is nothing bad in envy if it’s good and kind.
(8) Would you like to work at home?
If only one or two days a week. I have a nice office and like working from there together with my colleagues. It’s more comfortable for me.
(9) Do you like the location of your home?
We live in a small town, not so far from Moscow. We don’t have a subway and have to take a bus or go to the city by car. It’s not that convenient of course. But anyway I like the location of our home.
(10) Would you like to design your own home?
It’s a good idea. I am not sure I can design a good one, but I would definitely try.