B1 Dialog #71 Talking about breakfast
Today we are going to talk about breakfast. As always you can read the text in the PDF which you can find in the description. Follow our podcasts on iTunes and Yandex Music. For more new dialogs subscribe to our channel.
How to work with the dialog?
- Listen to the dialog and read the PDF transcript. Turn on subtitles if necessary.
- Listen to the dialog again, repeating the questions and answers aloud (!!!).
- Come up with your own answers to the questions. Use PDF vocabulary if needed.
- Listen to the questions and answer them aloud (!!!), with a correct intonation, pronunciation and rhythm.
- Go back to the video from time to time and repeat the exercise.
Talking about breakfast
(1) What did you have for breakfast this morning?
My breakfast is quite simple! Today is not an exception! I had fried eggs, toast with cheese and salmon. And a cup of coffee with almond milk!
(2) Has what you eat for breakfast changed over the years?
No, it hasn’t! I eat the same food all the time! Sometimes I eat oatmeal with fresh fruits instead of fried eggs!
(3) What do you do while having breakfast?
I look into the window and try not to use gadgets!
(4) Do you prefer to eat breakfast alone or with other people?
It doesn’t matter to me! But I usually have breakfast at home so I eat with my husband or alone!
(5) Do you ever eat breakfast in a restaurant or canteen etc.?
Yes I do! When we travel we usually have breakfast in places like this!
(6) What do you think of breakfasts in other countries?
I think breakfasts in other countries are quite the same! Only in Asia it is different I think.
(7) Is the breakfast you usually eat very healthy?
Yes it is! I eat what my body needs!
(8) How often do you skip breakfast or have it on the go?
I can’t remember a situation like that! I never leave home without having breakfast!
(9) Can you eat “lunch-style food” or “dinner-style food” for breakfast?
I think I can do it. I am usually very hungry in the morning!
(10) What do you think of breakfasts at hotels?
I like breakfast at hotels! The most pleasant thing is that I don’t have to cook breakfast on my own!
Anya —-> Rinat
(1) Do you always have time to eat what you want for breakfast?
I don’t eat too much in the morning. Only two or three fried eggs with toast and a cup of coffee. So if I don’t miss the alarm clock, I always have time for breakfast.
(2) How important is having breakfast?
For me it’s important. I’d rather miss supper but never miss breakfast.
(3) Do you watch television when having breakfast?
No, I don’t do this. Besides, I don’t even have a TV set. I try to enjoy the food and not use gadgets too much.
(4) Do you make your own breakfast?
Yes I do. As I said, my usual breakfast is quite simple. So yes I make it on my own.
(5) What is a traditional breakfast in your country?
Normally it’s pretty healthy. It can be some porridge, omlet, fried eggs with toast and some light dessert. And of course Russians like drinking coffee in the morning.
(6) Must breakfast be eaten in the morning?
People usually have breakfast when they wake up. We need energy in the morning. So a good breakfast always helps.
No, I can’t remember situations like that. I always have breakfast at home.
(8) Do you like having breakfast in bed?
No, I don’t like having breakfast or other food in bed. Bed is for sleeping.
(9) What is the origin of the word “breakfast”?
The word “breakfast” literally means “to break fast”. The word “fast” means the period of time when we don’t eat, so it’s nighttime. And when do we break that fast? In the morning, of course. Breakfast!
(10) Do you prefer a cooked breakfast?
Yes, I do. I don’t like eating cold food in the morning.