B1 Dialog #72 Talking about climate change
Today we are going to talk about climate change. As always you can read the text in the PDF which you can find in the description. Follow our podcasts on iTunes and Yandex Music. For more new dialogs subscribe to our channel.
Talking about climate change
(1) How do you feel about climate change?
I can’t say that I am too worried about it. I think people overestimate this problem sometimes.
(2) Are you more worried about climate change or the war on terror?
Exactly! There are a lot of other more serious problems in the world! I am more worried about wars and social problems rather than about climate change.
(3) Has climate change affected the country in which you live?
Yes it has. I think carbon emissions more and more pollute the air in big cities. It’s not good.
(4) Do you believe everything scientists say about climate change?
It depends on the scientists. It’s better to check everything on your own in different sources.
(5) Do you believe everything politicians say about climate change?
There is a saying: “It’s easy to tell when politicians lie. They move their lips!”. So no, I don’t believe everything politicians say about climate change.
(6) What do you think the world’s climate will be like 50 years from now?
It will be different! That’s for sure!
(7) What do you do to try to limit the effects of climate change?
I try to keep nature clean. I don’t throw garbage all around and try to use less plastic.
(8) What is your country doing to limit the effects of climate change?
I’ve read about a plan to reduce carbon emissions by 36% by 2030. I think it’s a good idea.
(9) Do you think the USA and China are doing enough?
To be honest I don’t know. As far as I know China has a lot of ecological problems. I hope they will handle it one day.
(10) How often do you think about climate change?
Everytime I hear about some natural disasters around the world. That’s really scary.
Anya —-> Rinat
(1) How would you explain climate change to someone who knew nothing about it?
The average world’s temperature is getting higher because of greenhouse gases from factories, cars and so on. It leads to global warming that affects nature. The planet becomes less comfortable for living.
(2) What can the world do to reverse climate change?
I think there is nothing the world can do. The only thing we can do is to make the process slower by reducing carbon emissions into the atmosphere.
(3) Are “eco-friendly” cars and electrical appliances really eco-friendly?
It’s a very good question. They use electricity. It means there is a power plant somewhere that produces electricity and pollutes the air. Most of the power plants still work on carbon fuels which produce emissions.
(4) What will our grandchildren think of us using so much carbon?
I hope we will do everything to reduce carbon emissions. I think our grandchildren will appreciate this!
(5) What do you know about carbon footprints?
A carbon footprint is the total amount of greenhouse gases (including carbon dioxide and methane) that are generated by our actions.
(6) Which industries need to become cleaner and greener?
I think it’s all heavy industries such as oil, mining, shipbuilding, steel, chemicals, machinery manufacturing (нефть, горнодобывающая промышленность, судостроение, сталь, химия, машиностроение) and similar ones.
(7) Do you think there’ll be climate change refugees in the future?
Absolutely! I don’t think it can happen in the near future, but in the distant one there will be refugees. That’s for sure!
(8) What are you most worried about with climate change?
I am afraid of natural disasters such as earthquakes, floods, volcanic eruptions and others. It can be a really huge catastrophe.
(9) Are there any positives to come from climate change?
It makes humans be more responsible and concerned about nature. I think it’s a positive thing.
(10) Is climate change the worst thing ever to happen to humankind?
I would not overestimate the problem of climate change. Of course it’s not the worst thing ever to happen to humankind. There are a lot of other more actual and scary problems.