B1 Dialog #75 Talking about England
Today we are going to talk about England. As always you can read the text in the PDF which you can find in the description. Follow our podcasts on iTunes and Yandex Music. For more new dialogs subscribe to our channel.
How to work with the dialog?
- Listen to the dialog and read the PDF transcript. Turn on subtitles if necessary.
- Listen to the dialog again, repeating the questions and answers aloud (!!!).
- Come up with your own answers to the questions. Use PDF vocabulary if needed.
- Listen to the questions and answer them aloud (!!!), with a correct intonation, pronunciation and rhythm.
- Go back to the video from time to time and repeat the exercise.
Talking about England in English
(1) What images spring to mind when you hear the country ‘England’?
I think about the English language and London!
(2) What are the good things and bad things about England?
England and the U.K in common are beautiful lands with a lot of historical places. As for the bad things, I would say the climate is not that pleasant. It’s quite windy and foggy.
(3) What is England most famous for?
I think London is the most famous place. It’s a wonderful city with a lot of sightseeing. It’s a must go place. That’s for sure!
(4) What do you know about England’s history?
It’s very old. Even in the smallest places you can usually find a pub, a church, a castle or a small house that dates back to the 1600s.
(5) What are the differences between England and your country?
England is an island. Russia is not. In Russia we have a different language, culture and history.
(6) What do you think about English people?
They speak perfect English and have a good sense of humour. I like talking to British people.
(7) What has England given to the world?
Amazing inventions! The world would not be what it is today without Britain. They invented antibiotics, the subway, the jet engine, the TV and many other things.
(8) What is the difference between Great Britain, England and the United Kingdom?
The U.K. – a sovereign state that includes England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Great Britain – an island situated off the north west coast of Europe.
England – a country within the UK.
(9) What do you know about the geography of England?
Located in the south of the United Kingdom. Bordered by Scotland in the north and Wales in the west, England is surrounded by the Irish and Celtic Seas.
(10) Who are the most famous English people you know?
Charles Robert Darwin!
Anya —-> Rinat
(1) How different is England from other European countries?
The UK is different in all the ways that countries are normally different from one another. History, language, food, architecture, religion, culture, geography, political structures, climate and so on…And don’t forget, England doesn’t belong to the EU anymore!
(2) What was the last news story you read or heard about England?
The last one I read about, is that wearing face masks is not necessary anymore in Britain. They cancel it, because the situation with Corona is getting better.
(3) What do you think it would be like (is like) to live in England?
I think it would be interesting, but very expensive! At least for Russian people.
(4) What do you think England will be like 50 years from now?
I don’t know. I am not very familiar with what is going on in England now. So it’s difficult to make any predictions.
(5) Does your country have good relations with England?
I can’t say we have good relations at the level of political leaders. But among plain people the relations are good I think.
(6) What can you do on a holiday in England?
There are a lot of wonderful destinations in England. A few years ago we were in London and visited the most famous places like the British Museum, Tower of London, Tower Bridge and others. So I would definitely recommend visiting London to everyone.
(7) What is your idea of a typical English person?
British people are quite conservative. It takes some time to get used to them. First you might think they are not friendly to you, but when you start talking you understand it’s not true. In fact they are very intelligent people with a wonderful sense of humour.
(8) What things about England do you think the English are proud of?
Winston Churchill I think. He was a wise leader and did a lot to the country.
(9) What do you know about English culture?
The culture of England is defined by the cultural norms of England and the English people. … Humour, tradition, and good manners are characteristics commonly associated with being English.
(10) What would you like to ask an English person about England?
What are the good things and bad things about living in England?