B1 Dialog #81 Talking about learning
Today we are going to talk about learning. As always you can read the text in the PDF which you can find in the description. Follow our podcasts on iTunes and Yandex Music. For more new dialogs subscribe to our channel.
How to work with the dialog?
- Listen to the dialog and read the PDF transcript. Turn on subtitles if necessary.
- Listen to the dialog again, repeating the questions and answers aloud (!!!).
- Come up with your own answers to the questions. Use PDF vocabulary if needed.
- Listen to the questions and answer them aloud (!!!), with a correct intonation, pronunciation and rhythm.
- Go back to the video from time to time and repeat the exercise.
Talking about learning in English
(1) What comes to mind when you hear the word ‘learning’?
I think about learning new languages. I also think that it’s always good to learn something new!
(2) What do you know about learning?
Learning is not easy, but it’s absolutely necessary for everyone.
(3) When do you think we first start learning?
I think we start learning at the moment we are born! And the older we become the more we learn.
(4) What kinds or methods of learning do you like best?
It depends on what kind of thing we learn. I think it’s important to be involved and enjoy learning. When we like something we usually do it better!
(5) Why are some people better at learning than others?
All people are different. We are not robots. We have different abilities and can’t be good at everything. Some people learn something better, some people do it worse. It’s a normal thing.
(6) Do you have any learning difficulties?
I am a little bit lazy, when I need to learn something. I think it’s my main difficulty!
(7) What is the best learning experience you’ve had?
My experience of learning English was quite successful. I was studying with a native speaker at least twice a week! I think it was one of the best learning experiences I’ve ever had!
(8) How can you make sure learning is always fun?
It’s important to study with materials that fit your level. Don’t do anything that is too difficult for you. Also it’s important to take breaks and have a rest from time to time.
(9) Do you think you’ll always be involved in lifelong learning?
Yes, I think so. We always have to learn something during our life. If we stop learning, we basically stop living.
(10) Do you think learning by doing or learning by listening is best?
I think that practice is important. Learning by doing something is more effective I think.
Anya —-> Rinat
(1) Are you good at learning new things?
It depends. I am good at learning languages, but I am bad at learning chemistry. I have never understood this science. Thank God I don’t need it that much!
(2) When you learn new things, is there always a steep learning curve?
I think there is! We usually learn fast at the beginning, but then our progress is getting slower. It’s quite a common thing for all new things we learn.
(3) What’s the difference between teaching and learning? Does teaching always lead to learning?
When we teach we give the knowledge to someone. When we learn we get the knowledge from our teacher. But even a teacher always learns something when he teaches. So yes, I think that teaching always leads to learning!
(4) Does learning always make you motivated to do things?
At the beginning I am always motivated to do things. Then I am getting less motivated, because learning is not easy. It’s important to have a rest from time to time!
(5) What tips on learning would you give to other people?
Practice makes perfect! Never avoid exercises and practice as much as you can. It’s the key to success! And don’t forget that any kind of learning takes time.
(6) Can we be too old to start learning something new?
It’s never too late to start learning! But if you are young, you usually learn better of course.
(7) What was the most difficult thing you had while learning something?
I’ve been learning German. The most difficult thing was learning German articles with different cases and genders. It was really hard!
(8) What good and bad experiences have you had while learning English?
I had a bad experience at school. I didn’t want to learn English at that time. When I studied at university I understood how important English was and started to learn it again! And I improved it pretty fast. It was a good experience!
(9) Confucius said: ‘Thought without learning is perilous.’ Do you agree?
Yes I do. It’s important to learn and educate yourself in order to be smarter and think wisely.
(10) Is learning something new ever a total waste of time?
Absolutely not! Lear, learn and learn! As Vladimir Lenin said!