B1 Dialog #83 Talking about the weather
Today we are going to talk about the weather. As always you can read the text in the PDF which you can find in the description. Follow our podcasts on iTunes and Yandex Music. For more new dialogs subscribe to our channel.
How to work with the dialog?
- Listen to the dialog and read the PDF transcript. Turn on subtitles if necessary.
- Listen to the dialog again, repeating the questions and answers aloud (!!!).
- Come up with your own answers to the questions. Use PDF vocabulary if needed.
- Listen to the questions and answer them aloud (!!!), with a correct intonation, pronunciation and rhythm.
- Go back to the video from time to time and repeat the exercise.
Talking about the weather
(1) What comes to mind when you hear the word ‘weather’?
Different kinds of weather come to my mind. It can be sunny, cloudy, warm and cold. I think that the weather makes a big impact on our lives.
(2) What is your favourite weather?
I like when it’s warm outside. I don’t like when it’s raining. I would prefer to have the endless summer!
(3) What do you think of today’s weather?
Today is the 21st of March. It’s still pretty cold outside, but it’s getting warmer. The temperature is about 5 °C. Spring is coming soon and it’s so cool!
(4) Do you worry about the world’s changing weather?
Not much. I think that we can do nothing about it. It makes no sense to worry about it. By the way, we have already discussed climate change in one of our previous episodes! Check this out!
(5) Why do different countries have different weather?
Climate is different in different parts of our planet. Depending on that the weather is changing as well. It’s warmer in the South and colder in the North.
(6) Has the weather in your country changed over the past decades?
Yes, it has! Winter is getting warmer, because of climate change. Who knows, maybe one day there will be no winter at all!
(7) Have you ever experienced extreme weather?
It’s cold in Russia. Sometimes the temperature drops to – 45 -50 °C in some northern parts of our country. I have never experienced such cold weather, but many people have!
(8) Do you always try to look at or read the weather forecast?
Usually I look at the weather forecast every day. I think many people do the same. Weather is important!
(9) John Ruskin said: “There is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” What do you think of this quote?
I think it’s true! It doesn’t make any sense to complain about the weather. Nature is beautiful anyway. Even when the weather is not good!
(10) Anthony J. D’Angelo said: “Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine.” What do you think of this quote?
I like this quote and absolutely agree with Anthony. No matter what the weather is like, it’s important to stay positive and enjoy life.
Anya —> Rinat
(1) What are your favourite weather words?
“It’s raining cats and dogs” is a good English idiom, meaning it is raining a lot. I like this one!
(2) Do you understand all the symbols on the weather map?
I have never thought about it before. The symbols on the weather map are not difficult. I think I understand all of them.
(3) How does the weather change your feelings?
When it’s grey outside and raining a lot, it makes me feel blue. The sunny weather is always better! I like it much more!
(4) When was the last time the weather destroyed one of your plans?
I can’t remember anything in particular. I think the weather has never destroyed my plans. I always check it beforehand.
(5) Have you ever experienced a storm?
Many years ago I had a boat trip and we had a storm. It was quite scary, because we had huge waves and our boat was shaking a lot.
(6) Would you like to work as a weather forecaster?
I can’t imagine myself as a weather forecaster. It would not be interesting for me.
(7) What do you think the weather will be like in your country 100 years from now?
It’s a hard question. I suppose that it will be much warmer than today. Hope we will not have any natural disasters because of climate change.
(8) What new weather would you like to invent?
I would make pleasant sunny weather. When it’s not too hot, when there are no rains and other precipitation.
(9) Kin Hubbard said: “Don’t knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn’t start a conversation if it didn’t change once in a while.” What do you think of this quote?
It’s so true! When people don’t know what to talk about they always discuss the weather!
(10) Someone once said: “If you don’t like the weather, wait a minute.” What do you think of this quote?
It probably means that the weather can change very fast? I think it’s true!