B1 Dialog #84 Talking about the transportation
Today we are going to talk about transportation. As always you can read the text in the PDF which you can find in the description. Follow our podcasts on iTunes and Yandex Music. For more new dialogs subscribe to our channel.
How to work with the dialog?
- Listen to the dialog and read the PDF transcript. Turn on subtitles if necessary.
- Listen to the dialog again, repeating the questions and answers aloud (!!!).
- Come up with your own answers to the questions. Use PDF vocabulary if needed.
- Listen to the questions and answer them aloud (!!!), with a correct intonation, pronunciation and rhythm.
- Come back to the video from time to time and repeat the exercise.
Talking about the transportation in English
(1) What comes to mind when you hear the word ‘transportation’?
I think about public transport and about how convenient it is. I use public transport a lot!
(2) What’s your favourite transport or a method of transportation?
My favourite transport is airplanes and trains. I think they are fast and the most convenient nowadays.
(3) What transportation problems are there in your country?
There are still a lot of regions with bad roads. Each year they are getting better, but anyway. This is a big problem in our country.
(4) What will the transportation of the future be like?
I think it will be a lot faster and more reliable. Who knows, maybe we will be able to travel to other planets one day!
(5) What would life be like if all public transport in your country stopped?
It would be terrible. I can’t imagine my life without public transport. Especially without the subway. I use it a lot and I think it’s the best public transport ever invented!
(6) Are you happy with transport services in your country?
Yes I am! There are a lot of options like trains, buses, taxis and so on. The Internet makes transport services more and more convenient. It’s so nice!
(7) What do you think of the transportation in other countries?
I think that they are pretty much similar in all countries around the world. Europe is a leader in this field I think. They have excellent transport and perfect roads.
(8) How many different kinds of transportation have you been on?
I think I’ve been on all kinds of transportation like cars, trains, airplanes and boats. We used to travel a lot!
(9) Is the quality of transportation in your country getting better or worse?
It’s definitely getting better. But at the same time it’s getting more expensive every year. I think we can do nothing about it.
(10) What was transportation like when you were a kid?
It was less comfortable and much slower. Technologies have developed a lot since I was a kid.
Anya —> Rinat
(1) If life is a highway, what kind of transport are you using?
It’s a philosophical question. I think that the older we become, the faster our life goes. So I would compare my transport with a high speed train now.
(2) What do you think is the most dangerous form of transportation and why?
It’s definitely a motorcycle. Two wheels are less reliable than four. Motorcycles usually go much faster and drivers are not protected well.
(3) Which transportation do you prefer – air, sea or road?
If I need to go some far away, I prefer an airplane of course. As for some close destinations, I like going by car.
(4) Is public transport expensive in your country?
I can’t say that it’s expensive in Russia. I like public transport, especially trains. It’s so convenient.
(5) What form of transport is the worst for the environment?
I think it’s cars. This is the most popular form of transport and there are so many cars in the world. They pollute the air a lot.
(6) What kind of transport would you like someone to invent?
I would like someone to invent a flying car like in movies. It would make life much easier, because we would get rid of traffic jams!
(7) How has international transportation changed in the past few decades?
It has changed dramatically. Technologies became better. There are a lot of online services nowadays that make it more convenient. Transportation became more comfortable. That’s for sure!
(8) What are the transportation needs of your country?
Now we need more airplanes produced in our country. Because of sanctions, there might be a lack of airplanes in the future. Boing doesn’t supply airplanes to Russia anymore.
(9) Do you think we are spoiled for choice with all the different transportation options?
No, I don’t think so. I think it’s good when people have a chance to choose from different variants. Especially when it comes to transportation.
(10) What do you think will be the next big breakthrough in transportation?
It’s a good question. I think that high speed trains will be developing more and more across the globe. Elon Musk works actively on his Hyperloop project. This can act as a complete revolution in the transportation industry.