B1 Dialog #88 Talking about summer
Today we are going to talk about Summer in English. As always you can read the text in the PDF which you can find in the description. Follow our podcasts on iTunes and Yandex Music. For more new dialogs subscribe to our channel.
How to work with the dialog?
- Listen to the dialog and read the PDF transcript. Turn on subtitles if necessary.
- Listen to the dialog again, repeating the questions and answers aloud (!!!).
- Come up with your own answers to the questions. Use PDF vocabulary if needed.
- Listen to the questions and answer them aloud (!!!), with a correct intonation, pronunciation and rhythm.
- Come back to the video from time to time and repeat the exercise.
Talking about summer in English
(1) What images spring to mind when you hear the season “summer’?
I start thinking about sunny days, green trees, fresh air, singing birds and good mood.
(2) How do you feel when summer arrives?
I’m very happy, because I like this season. To be honest, I’m always waiting for the summer.
(3) What things about summer do you like most and least?
I like walking all around because the weather is good. As for the bad thing, I don’t like working in summer!
(4) What happens in summer in your country?
Weather is unpredictable. It can be warm during the work week, but start raining on the weekend. People like spending time out of the city in the countryside, going to forests or lakes. There are a lot of open air festivals in Moscow. By the way, I am going to visit them this year!
(5) In what ways is summer the best season?
I think it’s because of the beauty of nature. It’s nice to look around and see different kinds of colors. I believe it has a good influence on our mood. There are a lot of varieties of fresh vegetables and fruits that are also useful for our health. Summer is a small life! Do you agree?
(6) Do you always wear summer clothes?
Yes, I do. That’s why it’s called summer clothes. But It depends on the weather of course.
(7) What are your plans for the summer?
As always I have great plans. First, I would like to do landscape design in our country house. I would like to visit nearby cities, spend time with my friends and go walking as much as I can!
(8) Is summer the same in all parts of the world?
Of course it’s not the same. The climate is different in different parts of our planet. In some regions there are no warm seasons at all!
(9) Are there any special events that take place in summer in your country?
Scarlet sails that take place in Saint-Petersburg in June. It’s a special event for graduating schoolers.
(10) William Carlos Williams said: “In summer, the song sings itself.” What do you think of this quote?
I think it’s true! In summer, the song sings itself!
Anya —> Rinat
(1) What do you like to do in summer that you can’t do at other times of the year?
I like walking around and enjoying the sunny days together with friends and family. I like going longboarding, which I can’t do in winter. I like going to the beach, sunbathing and swimming. Summer is a fabulous season! That’s for sure!
(2) Do you like summer holidays?
There are not many summer holidays in Russia. The most important one is Victory Day, but it’s on the 9th of May, which is not exactly summer yet. But I like it of course!
(3) How would you feel if there wasn’t summer?
It would be hard. People need summer, at least a short one. I can’t imagine my life without this season.
(4) Do you like the summer sun?
Yes I do! Sometimes it’s too hot, so you need to be careful and protect your body. But anyway the hot weather is always better than the cold one!
(5) Would you like it to be summer forever?
No. I think it’s good that we have four different seasons in Russia. I don’t like when it’s too hot for a long time. I don’t want to have the endless summer.
(6) What’s your favourite summer memory?
My favourite memories are those days when I spent time at my parents’ country house together with my family. I love it a lot and can’t wait to go there again this year!
(7) Do you like going to summer festivals?
Not really. I don’t like being in crowded places. But it’s a lot of fun though!
(8) Do you think summer feels differently to people of different ages?
I don’t think that summer feels differently to people of different ages. Maybe older people feel worse when it’s too hot outside. Young people usually like it more.
(9) What adjectives would you use to describe summer?
Warm, green and beautiful!
(10) A Swedish proverb says: “A life without love is like a year without summer.” What do you think of this quote?
I think it’s a smart proverb! Love makes our life better as well as summer!