B1 Dialog #95 Talking about dogs in English
Today we are going to talk about dogs in English. As always you can read the text in the PDF which you can find in the description. Follow our podcasts on iTunes and Yandex Music. For more new dialogs subscribe to our channel.
How to work with the dialog?
- Listen to the dialog and read the PDF transcript. Turn on subtitles if necessary.
- Listen to the dialog again, repeating the questions and answers aloud (!!!).
- Come up with your own answers to the questions. Use PDF vocabulary if needed.
- Listen to the questions and answer them aloud (!!!), with a correct intonation, pronunciation and rhythm.
- Come back to the video from time to time and repeat the exercise.
Talking about dogs
(1) Do you like dogs?
Yes I do! It’s one of the most clever and loyal animals.
(2) Are dogs really “a man’s best friend”?
Yes they are. Dogs never leave their master and always help in difficult situations.
(3) What kinds of dogs do you like and dislike?
I like all kinds of dogs, no matter how big or small they are.
(4) Do you think dogs are the best pets?
They are definitely one of the best pets. But it’s not easy to care for it. Dogs need a lot of time and training. It’s a big responsibility.
(5) Do you think dogs have a good life?
It depends on their owners. I am always sorry for homeless dogs. I wish I could take all of them and give them a better life.
(6) Are you ever afraid of dogs?
If a dog is big and I know nothing about it, of course I might be afraid.
(7) What do you think of dogs that bark non-stop?
It’s like a child that cries a lot. I never get angry or nervous about it.
(8) Do you think people spend too much money on dogs?
Nowadays people use dogs as toys or a part of fashion. I don’t think it’s right. But if a dog lives in love and safety, I think it’s not bad.
(9) In what ways are dogs helpful to humans?
They are great helpers and protectors of a human. They can reduce stress, anxiety and loneliness. Dogs are the best friends.
(10) Are there many abandoned dogs in your town?
Yes, but in the past few years people are getting more attentive to such dogs. They try to control their population and take them to special homes for dogs.
Anya —-> Rinat
(1) Do you prefer pedigree or mixed-breed dogs?
I like different kinds of dogs. I also think that homeless mixed-breed dogs are the most loyal ones, because they know what it’s like to live in the street.
(2) Do owners have to clean up after their dogs in your town?
I think it’s a good habit to clean up after our dogs in the street. Especially in big towns and cities.
(3) Do you think some owners care too much for their dogs and not enough for other people?
It’s a hard question. I wouldn’t split these problems. There are a lot of people in the world that need help as well as a lot of dogs that need home.
(4) Why are dogs disliked in some cultures?
In some Asian cultures people believe that after death souls of bad people move to the dogs’ bodies. So dogs are considered as bad things. It’s strange, but interesting at the same time.
(5) What do you think of dog hotels and dog cafes?
I think there is nothing bad about it. It’s good that people take care of dogs and want to give them their love.
(6) Dog is on the menu in many countries. What do you think of this?
For Russian culture it’s unacceptable of course. But I respect other nations and their traditions. People are different and what is strange for some cultures can be absolutely normal for others.
(7) What would you do if someone bought you a puppy as a present?
I wouldn’t get it. Dogs are not for presents. People need to think twice before having a dog. As you said before, it’s a huge responsibility.
(8) What do you think of people who organize dog fights?
They are bad people. I would say more rude, but kids are watching our channel as well.
(9) In English, dogs go “woof woof”. How about in your language or other languages you know?
In Russian it’s ГАВ-ГАВ. In German it’s WOF-WOF. I don’t know about other languages.
(10) What does a “dog-eat-dog world” mean? Is it true?
It’s used to describe a situation in which people will do anything to be successful, even if what they do harms other people. We live in a capitalist world. It’s a dog-eat-dog world out there.
But anyway I believe that most people are good!