B1 Dialog #97 Talking about complaining
Today we are going to talk about complaining in English. As always you can read the text in the PDF which you can find in the description. Follow our podcasts on iTunes and Yandex Music. For more new dialogs subscribe to our channel.
How to work with the dialog?
- Listen to the dialog and read the PDF transcript. Turn on subtitles if necessary.
- Listen to the dialog again, repeating the questions and answers aloud (!!!).
- Come up with your own answers to the questions. Use PDF vocabulary if needed.
- Listen to the questions and answer them aloud (!!!), with a correct intonation, pronunciation and rhythm.
- Come back to the video from time to time and repeat the exercise.
Talking about complaining
(1) What springs to mind when you hear the word ‘complain’?
When people don’t like something they start complaining about it. Depending on the situation it may or may not be helpful.
(2) Are you a complainer?
I think I am not. At least nobody calls me a complainer.
(3) Who do you usually complain to?
I usually complain to my closest people, like you or my mother. I know that you will always listen to me and understand.
(4) What complaints do you have at the moment?
I have no complaints at the moment.
(5) Have you ever complained in a restaurant, hotel, airplane or train?
Maybe once or twice. I don’t like complaining in such places. It’s quite stressful to me.
(6) How often do people complain to you?
Not often. I don’t like when people complain a lot. It makes me feel bad.
(7) How often do people complain about you?
Never! 😀 I am quite loyal and never give anyone a reason to complain about me.
(8) Do you have any complaints about English?
Some English words are so hard to pronounce! Sometimes it’s annoying.
(9) What are your biggest complaints about your friends?
Some of my friends do like complaining. I wish they stopped doing this and just enjoyed life.
(10) Do men or women complain more?
I think that women complain more. Men are usually more reserved and calm. That’s why we like you!
Anya —> Rinat
(1) What kinds of things do you complain about?
About traffic jams! They really drive me crazy sometimes!
(2) When was the last time you complained about something?
I don’t know. Maybe recently about the weather.
(3) Have you ever written a letter or e-mail of complaint?
Yes I have. Sometimes it helps! Especially when you try to get some government service.
(4) Do you like complaining?
No, I don’t like complaining. I am always trying to be happy about my life and about things I have. A lot of people in the world can’t have it. Some of them can’t even get enough food. So I think I have nothing to complain about!
(5) What is your complaining style – polite or aggressive?
If I complain, I usually do it alone with myself. It can be aggressive, but only when there are no people around.
(6) How often do you complain in public?
Almost never. As I said, complaining is quite a personal thing for me.
(7) Do you think complaining relieves stress?
Absolutely! It’s always better to talk to someone who can listen to you. Or you can talk to yourself as I do.
(8) Do you like watching other people complain?
No I don’t. I think nobody likes it. But sometimes it depends on the situation and on the person who is complaining.
(9) Have you ever got a better service after you’ve complained?
Yes I have. Sometimes it’s useful to make a complaint about some service in order to make it better.
(10) Why might people complain about you?
I don’t know. Honestly, I don’t know anybody who would complain about me.