B1 Dialog #98 Talking about cars
Today we are going to talk about cars in English. As always you can read the text in the PDF which you can find in the description. Follow our podcasts on iTunes and Yandex Music. For more new dialogs subscribe to our channel.
How to work with the dialog?
- Listen to the dialog and read the PDF transcript. Turn on subtitles if necessary.
- Listen to the dialog again, repeating the questions and answers aloud (!!!).
- Come up with your own answers to the questions. Use PDF vocabulary if needed.
- Listen to the questions and answer them aloud (!!!), with a correct intonation, pronunciation and rhythm.
- Come back to the video from time to time and repeat the exercise.
Talking about cars
(1) Are you into cars?
No I am not. Girls are usually not that interested in cars in comparison with men.
(2) Do you think cars are good value for money?
It used to be good value for money a long time ago. Now cars are too expensive.
(3) Do you think the world would be a better place without cars?
I don’t think so. Cars are one of the most important inventions in the world.
(4) Have you ever been in a car accident?
God no! I hope I will never be in a car accident.
(5) How different do you think cars of the future will be?
They will be more efficient and more expensive. That’s for sure.
(6) Should governments restrict engine sizes to protect the environment?
It makes sense. I think they should do it. Especially in big cities.
(7) What do you think of drivers who decorate their cars with soft toys?
I think it’s not bad. Some drivers like to decorate their cars with different kinds of things. Not only with soft toys.
(8) Which country produces the best cars?
I think it’s Germany and Japan. Chinese cars are also getting better and better nowadays.
(9) Do you like sitting in a car, either as a driver or a passenger?
I am not an experienced driver yet. So I prefer being a passenger.
(10) Why do so many people care so much about their cars?
Cars represent their owners. People see power and freedom and adventure in their vehicles. Men develop personal relationships with their cars because they perceive their car as an extension of themselves.
Anya —> Rinat
(1) What’s your favourite car?
I like my Kia Rio. For me it’s the best!
(2) Do you need a car?
Yes I do. Having a car means being independent in transportation. I live out of Moscow and using public transport is not that convenient here. So the car makes my transportation much easier.
(3) Do people need cars that go way above national speed limits?
It depends on the person. Some people like driving fast even though it’s not safe. I don’t understand it.
(4) Have you seen the Pixar/Disney movie Cars?
Yeah! It’s a good one! Funny and kind!
(5) If you were a car, what car would you like to be?
Kia Rio! 😀
(6) What features and functions of a car do you need most?
Russia is a cold country. So I like all these warming features in my car the most.
(7) Do you prefer driving gas guzzlers or fuel efficient cars?
I prefer driving fuel efficient cars. Gas guzzlers are definitely not for me.
(8) Do you think it is fair to call a car a dangerous weapon?
Pretty much depends on the drivers. If a driver is stupid, his car can be a dangerous weapon. That’s for sure.
(9) Do you think the car a person drives is an extension of his/her personality?
Yes I do. But I think there should always be common sense. Car is only a vehicle after all. Not more.
(10) Where do cars rank in the list of most important inventions?
As you said before, cars are one of the most important inventions ever. I totally agree!